COMBO & Durango Announce Songwriting Contest Winners!
Drum Roll, please! COMBO is pleased and proud to announce the winners of their 2014 Songwriting Contest. These writers and 21 of their songs will be placed on a CD to be passed out or sent to publishers, music supervisors, record company VIPs, song pluggers, and more. The first CDs will be handed out at the Durango Songwriters Expo being held at the Omni Interlocken Hotel & Resort in Broomfield starting October 2nd. Highest points (1-5, 5 being high) were given by our judges, all people related to the business of music in some way (teacher, performer, manager, publisher, and executive) to the following: 1st Place – Dustin Monk (Lay Me Flat); 2nd Place – Rachel Alena (Leave Your Light On), and 3rd Place – John Bunzli for his fun and loving song, Cinnamon Toast.
The CD song/track listings in order are:
1. Devil’s Card: Writers – Geoff Union & Jim Harris
2. Cinnamon Toast: Writer – John Bunzli
3. You’ve Got It Down: Writer – David Henning
4. They’ll Play a Little Samba: Writer – Laurie Dameron
5. I Never Lost: Writer – Ryan Chrys
6. Leave Your Light On: Writers – Rachel Alena, Alec Simms, Kyle Comerford
7. Lay Me Flat: Writer – Dustin Monk
8. Victory: Writer – Norman Hittle
9. Take It In: Writers – Adrienne Osborn, Justin Long, Craig DeLeone
10. Castaway: Writer – Mark Risius
11. What We Do: Writers – Jon Portillo, Jenny Lehman
12. Rain: Writer – Sidney Powell
13. Last Lullaby: Writer – Richie Buchborn
14. Autumn Leaves: Writer – Caitlin Powell
15. Nowhere Again: Writer – Zea Stallings
16. Home: Writer – Steve Law
17. Uh-Huh: Writer – Sharon Glassman
18. Rosalie: Writer – Joel Ashmore
19. Thank Goodness: Writers – Olivia Pevec, Mateo Sandate, Frank Martin, Aaron Taylor, Ashton Taufer & Sophia Clark
20. Almost Close: Writers – Gary Dean Smith, Doug Moe, Guido Valeri, Steve Fitzgerald, Mike Hay & Joel Ashmore
21. Gypsy Stomp: Writers – Gordon Lewis & Grace Easley
Our grand prize drawing winner (drawn from all who entered the contest) of a “scholarship” to the Durango Songwriters Expo was Steve Law!
We had a lot of fun doing this and sincerely hope that our efforts will pay off for our unsigned songwriters somewhere down the road – better sooner!
And, most of all, we not only want to thank all the songwriters who entered but we send a GREAT BIG THANK YOU to the Durango Songwriters Expo and CODA, Inc. for co-sponsoring our contest. Both businesses are so good to local musicians! If you need some help with your songwriting, check out the DSE sometime. AND if you need any merchandise, promo stuff, or CDs and DVDs, give CODA a call. Their turnaround is quick and perfect.
* * * * *
SPEAKING OF SONG CONTESTS, DURANGO ANNOUNCES ITS WWAHM WINNERS
What is “WWAHM”? Why, “Write With A Hit Maker”, of course! Durango Songwriters announced their winners on September 29th. Congratulations to the following, in particular Frank Maroney from Parker, Colorado, and Alan Krehbiel from Aurora! Allen is also co- director of the Denver NSAI Songwriters Group which meets on the second Mondays of the month.
Winning Song of the Film/TV Category: “Dodgeball” by Rachel Pearl
Runners-up: “Learn to Breathe” by Nitanee Paris; “No Way” by Jackie Young; “Pick Your Head Up” by Cody Qualls
Winning Song of the Country Category: “The Lucky Ones” by Frank Maroney
Runners-up: “The Way You Move” by Trevor Henderson; “Love You For Life” by Sierra West;
“Ho Ho Home On Christmas” by Allen Krehbiel
Congratulations to all our winners and THANKS to everyone who participated in WWAHM 2014-2!!