Colorado Music Business Organization Board of Directors Meeting
Sunday, June 7, 2020 – 7:00 p.m.
Telephone conferencing number & code: 712-775-7031, ID 855-335-896
Call to Order at 7:03 p.m.
Present: Barb Dye, David Barber, Lee Bagby, Annette Cannon, Tracey Chirhart, Johnnie Johnson, Jamie Krutz, Sheena Morgan, Alex Teitz
Absent: Clark Hagan, Angela Whaley (excused)
Consideration and Approval of the Minutes of May 3, 2020: Approved
May Memberships: $ 47.50 (Band: Paypay charge – $2.50)
Interest on Savings: $ .01 (May 29, 2020)
Total: $ 47.51
Bank Fees for May: $ 2.00 ($2 for checking)
Facebook ads for May: $ 30.00
Mailchimp for May: $ 31.28 (e-mail list: $30 + $1.28 local tax)
Total: $ 63.28
Checking Balance: $ 1,430.51 (as of 05/29/20)
Savings Balance: $ 1,423.11 (as of 05/29/20)
PayPal Balance: $ 712.54 (as of 06/07/20)
Grand Total: $ 3,566.16
Note: David transferred $400 from PayPal to Savings.
Current Paid Members: 32 (7 are bands)
Band: SYCDVK (name is pronounced “Sick Duck”) (Nic Hammerberg)
Sheena reported that these members have not renewed for May yet: Christopher Ryan.
Sheena reported that the following memberships are up for renewal in June: None.
(Please note that the board voted at the March meeting to suspend renewal notices until a later date due to the coronavirus shut down. These names are for reference only).
Membership Retention: Nothing at this time.
Membership “Welcome Surveys”: Sheena reported that we received no new surveys in May.
Bar code requests: None.
- Upcoming Programs:
a. June 22, 2020: Virtual “Happy Hour” meeting using Angela’s Zoom account, 4-6:00 pm on Monday, 6/22, BYOB and snacks. We went with Angela’s suggestion.
July 2020: ZOOM Meeting TBD. Probably will be held on Monday, July 27th from 7:00 until 9:00 p.m.
August 2020: We usually do not hold meetings in August but may want to reconsider this policy depending on the situation with the coronavirus. Guitar show: Dana Cain confirmed that the combination Vintage Voltage Expo, Guitar Show, and Toy & Doll Trade Show had been moved to August 2nd. We will consider participating in this at the July board meeting.
d. September 2020: Depending on the situation with the coronavirus, we may want to reschedule those meetings that got cancelled in March and April.
- Web Reports:
Current Email Subscribers: David reported that, as of 5/31/20, COMBO has 2,603 subscribers which is down from the 2,623 reported at the 05/03/20 Board Meeting. As of the May 27th newsletter, we had 15% opens and 5% click thrus.
Twitter Account Followers: David reported that, as of 6/07/20, COMBO has 7,855 followers which is down from 7,901 followers as of the 5/03/20 report.
Facebook Account Activity: David reported that, as of 6/07/20, COMBO received 1,448 “likes” which is up from 1,438 “likes” as of the 5/03/20 report.
Facebook Analytics – Angela Whaley: Angela was absent. No report.
Google Analytics Report: David reported that in May 2020 there were 16,514 “Sessions” which is up _____% from May 2019 when it was 3,422. The most viewed article in May 2020 was a story regarding Nicole Mitchell (again). The second most viewed article was one regarding the Grizzly Rose.
Reminder – Our Facebook address is:
Songs on the COMBO Website Player for June 2020 – David: 1
2● “Save Me” – Rekha Ohal
● “Scary Clowns” – Toad in a Hole
● “Ocean Adventure” – Steve Glotzer
● “Driving Alone” – Isabelle Stillman
● “Forever and a Day” – Steve Son
Lee will take this over. David had already set up June’s playlist.
COMBO YouTube Channel Uploads: Nothing new to upload.
Ombudsman Program – Annette Cannon: Nothing to report other than a lot of shows getting cancelled due to the coronavirus and the bars/clubs being closed.
Meeting Space Ideas: Still need to check on the Roxy on Broadway (f/k/a Syntax) when it reopens. Parks not taking reservation applications yet.
Designation for Funds: Nothing at this time.
Purchase of Promotional Merchandise Items: Barb contacted Erika Mitchell (formerly with CODA) to see about ordering face masks with the COMBO logo on them. Erika came up with some but they were around $10 each! So much for making a profit on them… Erika said she would continue to search for some we could afford. Another suggestion was checking into bandanas which we will do at a later date.
Promotion/Advertising: Facebook ad for the Zoom meeting in May.
Girls & Science Expo: Nothing at this time.
13. Posting on Facebook: Sheena sent a note.
14. Secretary Resignation: We still need a secretary! Our THANKS to Angela for taking the minutes at the May meeting – and she got the completed form to Barb in RECORD time!
15. Board Member Bio’s – David & Sheena: On hold until things settle down.
16. Website Update. David has been testing out the members only section. Alex is the only one who has provided feedback so far.
17: Storage for COMBO Stuff: Barb went thru a couple more boxes, still trying to make room for the stuff that Mark still has. Pizza and beer party to help move this stuff? Barb could use some help to move all the stuff when she is able to make space.
18. COMBO Organization By-Laws: Barb will read the first two sections of the By-Laws tonight for discussion. Here is the text from those sections:
Membership and Dues
1. [Sections 1 thru 4 were previously approved. We need to re-word Sections 5, 6 and 7.]
5. The corporation will comply with the Fair Labor Standards Act in regards to the employment of professional performers and related supporting professional personnel, mechanics and laborers employed for any construction on a project, and the health, safety and sanitary laws of the State of Colorado. The corporation will provide a drug free workplace as required by the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988 (P.L. 100-690, Title V, Subtitle D).
– No objections to the above changes.
6. The corporation shall enroll members on an annual basis and persons may be admitted to membership at any time during the year. The corporation may deny or revoke membership at any time provided that such action does not violate any provision herein. Each member of the corporation shall pay annual dues to the corporation as shall be set by the Board of Directors.
7. Each member who is current in dues shall have one vote on all matters put before the membership by the Board of Directors. The right of a member to vote and all rights, title and interest of a member in or to the corporation shall cease upon the termination of membership. Any member may resign from the corporation at any time by delivering a written resignation to the President or Secretary of the corporation.
Read into the Minutes of May 3, 2020 by President Barbara Dye.
Discussion regarding Article II, revised Sections 5, 6 & 7. No objections to leave the above as is. Barb will review IRS rules.
19. California Law on Sub-Contractors: Update: Law is still on hold.
a. [Left in NB until more info is available] How to get bars and clubs more aware of COMBO. If we know of any bars and clubs who start to re-open, let Barb know. Barb will send them a letter / email letting them know that COMBO is here and we will let our community know. Let Barb know the best person to contact at a club or a bar, and let them know we want to help them by letting our people know that they are re-opening, especially if they plan to put together upcoming shows. Jon Solomon wrote an article in Westword on May 27th about some places opening for live music. Barb will try to contact them for more information as to answers to the above.
1. Book, Movie, and Featured Member(s) for May 2020: None.
2. Monday, May 18th, 2020, General Meeting: We went with a Mental Wellness program over ZOOM. Angela & Spencer Townsend Hughes moderated. Barb said she thought it went very well for a first time try. We had 18 people “attend”. Discussion centered around how attendees were feeling being shut up at home and not being able to go out or to play out at shows due to the coronavirus pandemic. There was also some discussion as to what attendees are doing to make “lemonade out of lemons” — most said they were doing long put-off projects around their homes, practicing, and even doing a little songwriting.
3. Colorado Springs Meeting: Tabled.
4. Denver Balanced Breakfast: No update although it may still be being held on Thursdays at noon via ZOOM.
5. Denver Open Media Open Music Sessions: DOM went to an online format for the time being. They will be showing videos of previously taped bands’ performances. Anyone got a chance to watch? No.
6. Mental Wellness Discussion Group Meeting – Angela Whaley’s report: Angela was absent.
Mental Wellness Meetup now meets weekly every Monday, 6-7pm via Zoom. Consider doing a Netflix Party for a COMBO music watch party?
7. Women’s Groups
a. She.E.O.: Nothing to report.
b. Women Crush Music: Alex said they are still trying to update the group according to Facebook posts.
c. Setting the Stage with Julie Gellar: Julie posted another video and continues to send encouraging words, as well as a report on how the coronavirus is affecting her, her family, and the country of Israel.
8. Metropolitan State University of Denver has severed ties with DIME, a private school that focuses on the business and production of contemporary music that had branches in Denver and Detroit.
Items for Newsletters/Announcements: Nothing at this time.
Next General Meeting: Monday, June 22nd – ZOOM “Happy Hour” meeting from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m.
Next Board Meeting: Sunday, July 12, 2020 (postponed due to the Independence Day Weekend) – 7:00 p.m. Telephone conference.
- Meeting Adjourned at 8:04 p.m.
Barb Dye, President