From John Moore on Facebook: It’s #WorldMentalHealthDay (10/10/20), which among other things calls attention to the fact that every 40 seconds, someone loses their life to suicide. It doesn’t always take a triggering traumatic incident to put a gun or a blade or a bottle of pills in a person’s hands. Sadness can slip into depression as easily as unattended ice melts into water.
Sometimes all it takes is for a person to go unnoticed or unappreciated or unrecognized just long enough to feel invisible, worthless and alone. One simple way we all can help someone who might be in an unseen downward slide is to simply acknowledge they exist. Knowing who in your life might be withdrawn is additionally challenging in these isolated COVID times. Think of someone you haven’t recently engaged who might be withdrawn and check in.
Don’t assume everything is OK. Listen to them. Let them know it’s OK not to be OK. Then check in with them again tomorrow, even just a quick text. And the day after that. Feeling seen and valued is as necessary to human life as water is to a plant. And we all know what happens if you don’t water a plant.
Thank you to Alex Teitz, http://www.femmusic.com, for contributing lots of articles this week!
COMBO is about the LOVE of Music. Our mission is to assist musicians with the ins & outs of the music industry. We have a board of dedicated and knowledgeable musicians and aides in the Music Industry. We offer guidance and advice to help musicians advance their careers whether it be in writing, performing, teaching, or recording and sound engineering! Our articles represent some phase of the music business that could effect musicians – all musicians – everywhere. Our motto: Elevate Your Musical State!
Miss a meeting you wanted to get to? Try Colorado Music Biz’s general YouTube channel:
Did you miss the Zoom meeting about “How to Live Stream a Zoom Concert?” COMBO’s webmaster David Barber has uploaded the video recording of the meeting that is chock full of information provided by our guest speakers Rob Roper and Cary Morin. To check it out, go to https://youtu.be/16munE4uqwE
Get the full stories on COMBO’s website under the heading “Talent Needed”:
● Denver Arts & Venues Offers CARES Act Grants to Artists and Venues (Deadline Oct. 18th)
● Iconic Colorado Artwork Contest (Deadline October 30th)
● iHeartMedia is Seeking a Digital Sales Executive
● COMBO is also looking for judges for the Summer of 2021’s Songwriting Contest
Check out COMBO’s Calendar for Upcoming Events:
Events – October 2020
Every Friday the Aurora VFW at Tower Road and East Colfax Avenue presents a good old fashioned Country Music Dinner Show with Rudy Grant and The Screaming Eagle Band | Starting at 5:00 p.m. and ending at 9:00, come join the fun!
Th, 16th – Gaia Rising: Holding “Get The Vote Out”at Mercury Café, 6:00 p.m. via ZOOM
Su, 18th – Fund-Raiser at The Venue, 1451 Cortez St., Denver for Jeff Anderson – Noon ‘til 6:00
Su, 18th – CCMHOF’s Reunion Festival at Dougie’s, 10217 Quivas Street, Thornton – 2-6:00 p.m. There will be door prizes, drawings, silent auctions and live music. There is a cover charge of $10.00 per person. Come on out and enjoy the afternoon with us.
Mo, 26th – COMBO General Meeting via Zoom – 7:30 p.m. (Note time change) – “Musicians Pay What?!
Smart Accounting Practices for Musicians” – Guest speaker, Brittany Walker, owner of Freya Accounting – a detailed discussion on musician accounting practices..
Events – November 2020
Fr, 6th – Open Media Announces a Fun Moving Party [See “Events’]
Sa, 7th – Invitation: Cass Clayton Live Concert With Only 40 Seats – Broomfield Auditorium [See “Events”]
Th, 5th – (first class) Music Business: Why Denver Sees It as a Sound Investment – see “Events”
Innervision Fundraiser & CD release at Mercury Café – CANCELLED | These artists’ music now being played on http://www.innervisionfm.com | 75% of proceeds go to Innervision, working with disabled musical artists to help with the business of music! Please help them out!
BELL RINGERS: Previous article ringing a bell? Look for it on COMBO’s Website!
● Warning Signs of Suicide 1-800-273-TALK
● How to Take Care of Your Mental Health During a Pandemic
● COMBO’s YouTube Channel Features Videos From Our Meetings and Friends
● Updates to the COMBO Resource Pages – List Your Business – Free!
● Invitation: Cass Clayton Live Concert With Only 40 Seats – 11/07/20
● Did Led Zeppelin steal ‘Stairway To Heaven’? The Copyright Saga is Finally Over
● Into Vinyl? Join the Rare Sounds Vinyl Club
● Being Asked for Guitarist Paul Trinidad Who Had a Heart Attack
● Dave Magoun on the Passing of His Brother Daniel Magoun
● Want Some Help With Your Side Door Show?
● ‘I Can See Clearly Now’ singer Johnny Nash dead at age 80
● Eddie Van Halen Dies at Age 65 from Cancer
● Denver Arts & Venues Offers CARES Act Grants to Artists and Venues
● ‘You’re left to rot if you speak up’: the abuse faced by female roadies
● Songwriting Tips & Inspiration from Robin Frederick
● Iconic Colorado Artwork Contest
● Storm Gloor: Zoom Course on Music Business: Why Denver Sees It as a Sound Investment
● Playing Wind Instruments and Singing Can Spread COVID-19. Now What?
● Jeff Campbell’s I Am Raverro Tells Story of Union Station Beating
● Happy 100th Birthday to Charles Burrell!
● The Show Goes On at the Boulder Theater
● Manager of Boulder event space fined for hosting a gathering of ‘40-50 or more patrons’
● How the Late Rock God Eddie Van Halen Hacked His Guitar
● Unemployed CO Gig Workers Asked To Repay 1,000s of $$$ After Confusion On Forms
● Remembering Denver Rapper and Producer Playalitical, Dead at 38
● The Blues Foundation Cancels This Year’s International Blues Challenge
● The Great Heavy Metal Hoax
● Dave Magoun on the Passing of His Brother Daniel Magoun
● Open Media Announces a Fun Moving Party for Friday, November 6th
● Stay Gold Landlord Threatens Austin Club With Half-Million-Dollar Lawsuit…
● Independent Artists and Songwriters Rely on Copyright Protection and Clear Fair Use Standards
● Updates from COMBO Members Laurie Dameron, Rebecca Folsom, Brendan McKinney, Jarrod Headley, and James Marienthal
● Much Loved Denver Bassist Jeff Anderson Dies Unexpectedly
● “Out of Tune” “Every part of me is fed by my life as a musician”
● COMBO Welcomes JD Droddy to Its Roll Call