Colorado Music Business Organization Board of Directors Meeting
Sunday, May 3, 2020 – 7:00 p.m.
Telephone conferencing number & code: 712-775-7031, ID 855-335-896
For future reference: The coronavirus (COVID-19) has hit the world hard with more than a million reported victims and thousands of deaths. In trying to combat the illness and to keep it from spreading, the government has asked businesses to shut down and to cancel all meetings and big events such as concerts and festivals.
A. Call to Order at 7:03 p.m.
Present: Barb Dye, David Barber, Lee Bagby, Annette Cannon, Tracey Chirhart, Clark Hagen, Johnnie Johnson, Jamie Krutz, Alex Teitz, and Angela Whaley
Absent: Sheena Morgan (excused)
Potential guests: Justin Bank, Ben Makinen (Ben is stranded in Bali due to the shut down; he may not be able to attend again for a few more months).
B. Consideration and Approval of the Minutes of April 5, 2020: Approved as presented
C. Treasurer’s Report:
April Memberships: $ 28.50 (Individual: Paypal charges $1.50)
Interest on Savings: $ .01(April 28, 2020)
Total: $ 0.01
Bank Fees $ 2.00 ($2 for checking account for April)
Mailchimp for April: $ 31.28 (e-mail list: $30 + $1.28 local tax)
Total: $ 33.28
Checking Balance: $ 1,434.51 (as of 04/29/20)
Savings Balance: $ 1,423.09 (as of 04/29/20)
PayPal Balance: $ 720.72 (as of 05/3/20)
Grand Total: $ 3,578.32
D. Membership Report: (Sheena was absent)
Current Paid Members: Unknown
Sheena reported that these members have not yet renewed for April: Christopher Ryan due to renew in April (?) We had put all memberships on hold due to COVID-19.
Sheena reported that the following memberships are up for renewal in May:
Please note that the board voted at the March meeting to suspend renewal notices until a later date due to the coronavirus shut down. These names are for reference only.
Membership “Welcome Surveys”: No report.
E. Unfinished Business:
a..1. Bar code requests: None.
a..2. Upcoming Programs:
a..2.a. Monday, May 18th, 2020: Sheena suggested that we go with a Mental Wellness program over ZOOM. Angela & Sheena will moderate.
Sheena to setup Facebook event for 5/18 from 7-8:30pm. Once setup Angela will add event to Music Minds Matter’s Facebook page.
b. June 2020:
Schedule virtual happy hour meeting using Angela’s Zoom, 4-6pm on Monday, 6/22, BYOB and snacks
Typically don’t run a meeting in June. Previously did the Guitar show which has moved to August 2nd, joining the Vintage Voltage Expo and Toy & Doll Show at the Denver Merchandise Mart.
c. July 2020:
d. August 2020: We usually do not hold meetings in August but may want to reconsider this policy depending on the situation with the coronavirus.
Guitar show (TBD)
e. September 2020: Depending on the situation with the coronavirus, we may want to reschedule those meetings that got cancelled in March and April.
4. Web Reports:
a. Current Email Subscribers: David reported that, as of 4/30/20, COMBO currently has 2,623 subscribers which is down from the 2,632 reported at the 4/05/20 Board Meeting. As of the April 30th newsletter, we had 16% opens and 3% click thrus.
b. Twitter Account Followers: David reported that, as of 4/30/20, COMBO currently has 7,901 followers which is down from 7,958 followers as of the 4/05/20 report.
c. Facebook Account Activity: David reported that, as of 4/30/20, COMBO received 1,438 “likes” which is up from 1,433 “likes” as of the 4/05/20 report.
d. Facebook Analytics – Angela Whaley: (No events) – Page Views down 15%; Post Reach down by 65%; Post Engagement down 6%; Page Likes are up 50%; Page Followers up 67%
e. Google Analytics Report: David reported that in April 2020 there were 3,785 “Sessions” which is up 10% from April 2019 when it was 3,443. The most viewed article in April 2020 was a story regarding IN MEMORIAM: Local Vocalist Billy Bunting.
Reminder – Our Facebook address is:
5. Songs on the COMBO Website Player for May 2020 – David: 1
“Quarantine” by Hold Me Hostage
“Denver” by Steve Son
“The Thought of you” by Brett Longnecker
“Oh I Wanna Smoka Marijuana” by Laurie Dameron
“Mash in Guyana” by Rudy Grant
If someone else would like to take this over, David said it is pretty simple. You set up a “Playlist” from Spotify, then export it to the website player. Lee can help on this once he picks up his new computer and gets online.
6. COMBO YouTube Channel Uploads: Nothing new to upload.
7. Ombudsman Program – Annette Cannon: Nothing new to report.
8. Meeting Space Ideas: Still need to check on the Roxy on Broadway (f/k/a Syntax) when it reopens. Barb also contacted the Denver Parks & Recreation Department to see if we could hold a meeting in the small amphitheater at La Alma Park on 11th & Osage. They are not taking applications for park space reservations at this time.
9. Designation for Funds: Nothing at this time.
10. Purchase of Promotional Merchandise Items: Nothing at this time.
11. Promotion/Advertising: Nothing at this time.
12. Girls & Science Expo: Nothing at this time.
13. Posting on Facebook: The weekly news articles go onto Facebook automatically, and Sheena posted a couple more to attract interest.
14. Secretary Resignation: We still need a secretary!
15. Board Member Bio’s – David & Sheena: Nothing at this time.
16. Website Update. Anyone got any new info to add? David has been testing out the members only section. Alex is the only one who has provided feedback so far.
17: Storage for COMBO Stuff: Barb went thru a couple more boxes, still trying to make room for the stuff that Mark still has. Pizza and beer party to help move this stuff? Barb could use some help to move all the stuff.
18. COMBO Organization By-Laws: Barb will read the first two sections of the By-Laws tonight for discussion. Here is the text from those sections:
Membership and Dues
1. [Sections 1 thru 4 were previously approved. We need to re-word Sections 5, 6 and 7.]
5. The corporation will comply with the Fair Labor Standards Act in regards to the employment of professional performers and related supporting professional personnel, mechanics and laborers employed for any construction on a project, and the health, safety and sanitary laws of the State of Colorado. The corporation will provide a drug free workplace as required by the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988 (P.L. 100-690, Title V, Subtitle D).
– No objections to the above changes.
6. The corporation shall enroll members on an annual basis and persons may be admitted to membership at any time during the year. The corporation may deny or revoke membership at any time provided that such action does not violate any provision herein. Each member of the corporation shall pay annual dues to the corporation as shall be set by the Board of Directors.
7. Each member who is current in dues shall have one vote on all matters put before the membership by the Board of Directors. The right of a member to vote and all rights, title and interest of a member in or to the corporation shall cease upon the termination of membership. Any member may resign from the corporation at any time by delivering a written resignation to the President or Secretary of the corporation.
– No objections to leave the above as is. Barb will review IRS rules.
Read into the Minutes of May 3, 2020 by President Barbara Dye.
Discussion regarding Article II, revised Sections 5, 6 & 7:
19. California Law on Sub-Contractors: Update: Law is still on hold.
F. New Business:
a. How to get bars and clubs more aware of COMBO. If we know of any bars and clubs who start to re-open, let Barb know. Barb will send them a letter / email letting them know that COMBO is here and we will let our community know. Let Barb know the best person to contact at a club or a bar, and let them know we want to help them by letting our people know that they are re-opening, especially if they plan to put together upcoming shows.
1. Book, Movie, and Featured Member(s) for the Month of April 2020: None.
2. Monday, April 27th, 2020 General Meeting: The program was to be on “How to Get Airplay for Your Songs.” We were going to offer it over ZOOM. However, a week before it was to be held, Chris Kresge decided that he wanted to have an “in-person” meeting and cancelled the ZOOM appearance. In the meantime, Alf Kremer bailed as he’d started running a “story hour” on Monday nights. Alicia Sweeney said her boss “quarantined” her from public gatherings thru April so she was not able to be on the panel (even though this did not require her in-person service). That left only Johnnie Johnson so Barb cancelled the meeting. We will try to hold the meeting on this subject in the fall of 2020. We will ask Jamie to moderate at that time.3
3. Colorado Springs Meeting: Tabled.
4. Denver Balanced Breakfast: The DBB meeting held this on Thursday, April 30th via ZOOM. Anyone able to watch? – No one on the board made this meeting.
5. Denver Open Media Open Music Session: DOM went to an online format for the time being. They will be showing videos of previously taped bands’ performances.
6. Mental Wellness Discussion Group Meeting – Angela Whaley’s report:
Mental Wellness Meetup now meets weekly every Monday, 6-7pm via Zoom. Consider doing a Netflix Party for a COMBO music watch party?
7. Women’s Groups
a. “She.E.O.”: No update
b. Women Crush Music: No update
c. Setting the Stage: Julie Gellar set up another video concert of her playing her new music from Israel!
H. Items for Newsletters/Announcements:
Update on Doug Garvey & family: Doug’s been driving from Pueblo to Denver and back to try to get the grandsons to sleep! But they are all feeling better now and will be taking the tests to see if they also had COVID (as did their day care lady).
I. Next General Meeting:
Monday, 5/18 via Zoom from 7-8:30pm for Mental Wellness Meetup
J. Next Board Meeting: Sunday, June 7, 2020 – 7:00 p.m. Telephone conference.
K. Meeting Adjourned at 8:13 p.m.
/s/ Barb Dye
Barb Dye, Acting secretary