NEWS: Watkins Glen International Pulls The Plug On Woodstock 50
By Ian Courtney. CelebrityAccess | On Monday, Watkins Glen International racetrack announced that it will not serve as the host venue for the Woodstock 50 Festival.
A statement released on Monday from the racetrack said: “Watkins Glen International terminated the site license for Woodstock pursuant to provisions of the contract. As such, WGI will not be hosting the Woodstock 50 Festival.”
The festival, which is now just 66 days away from its scheduled start, was due to take place at the racetrack in Watkins Glen, New York from August 16 – 18.
Intended as a commemorative event to mark the 50th anniversary of the original Woodstock Festival, Woodstock 50 boasts a lineup of headliners that includes Jay-Z, Dead & Co, The Killers, Chance The Rapper and Santana.
However, the festival has had a rocky road, including apparent permitting trouble with officials in New York and a high profile legal battle with their former financial partners, Japanese marketing firm Dentsu Aegis.
In mid-May, the festival won court ruling in a legal battle that allowed the festival to continue and quickly announced they had secured new investment from Oppenheimer, but since then, they have largely fallen silent. Festival organizers have yet to announce a new onsale date for tickets or to provide any additional updates regarding status of the fest.
Spokespersons for the festival did not respond to a request for comment.
Update: According to Rolling Stone, Woodstock 50 organizers have vowed to move forward with the festival.
Gregory Peck, one of the organizers for the festival, told Rolling Stone: “We confirm that we will not be moving forward with Watkins Glen as a venue for Woodstock 50. We are in discussions with another venue to host Woodstock 50 on August 16th — 18th and look forward to sharing the new location when tickets go on sale in the coming weeks.”